Our SIBOL TOTAL IS 1376! Thank You!

Slideshow of Sunshine Blankets (Click on Left/Right Arrows).

Challenge Blankets
I'm Sue and can be contacted on
sueatpigsty@virginmedia.com

It is so important that email addresses and names are enclosed with your donations of Sunshine Blankets, Shawls and Butterflies please. Thank you!

Butterflies LINK


'Crochet keeps our hands busy so our minds can rest. It is a gift to help quiet the world around us, if even for a moment. To create -- and think of those we create for --is a quiet prayer of hope, love and dreams all wrapped up in a hook, a book and a ball of yarn. Author Anonymous. Thanks Cynthia.
SIBOL Blog
I NO LONGER ACCEPT KNITTED OR CROCHETED SQUARES. I DO HOWEVER ACCEPT MADE UP BLANKETS FOR THE ELDERLY IN CARE HOMES. I'D BE VERY HAPPY TO RECEIVE YOURS! THANK YOU! 'SIBOL' is a charitable outlet for your Crocheting and Knitting Skills why not join us? Together we are 'Sending a ray of Sunshine into the Lives of the Elderly.' All enquiries please contact Sue on sueatpigsty@virginmedia.com Thank you!
Please Note

Please may I remind you to enclose your email address with parcels delivered to my home. If I don't acknowledge receipt it's because I can't find your address. Thank you.


Total 1384 Thank you!




Monday 14 February 2011

Squares from the UK! CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT.

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all having a Happy Valentines Day! 

I would like to thank Margaret (UK) for the Squares received today.  Margaret has sent me some gorgeous Granny Squares for SIBOL, such lovely spring colours! One of the Squares has a lovely flower design and I'm sure you will love it.

Spring Challenge I think...So pretty! ......>


The others Margaret are in your Slide Show, sit back and enjoy! Thank you so much.




                                                        ANNOUNCEMENT.

Now I would like your thoughts........I am proposing to do something I wouldn't normally do. To be honest I am a little hesitant but I need to know what you think.  I have never done anything like this before.

You may be aware of a certain event taking place on April 29th. Yes it is the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. 


Great British Yarns is running a special competition. They are asking participants to Knit or Crochet something to mark the occasion.  Now of course you can take part individually if you like, but as a Group who loves to Knit and Crochet I wondered whether you'd be interested in another 'joint effort'.  Now what are we good at?  Blankets (as dear Mia would say......)   I'm wondering whether you think the idea of making a 'Royal Blanket' would be a good idea.

I would be asking for 6" Squares Knitted or Crocheted as usual.  Another picture Blanket  but this one to celebrate the Royal Wedding. So you could have pictures of a Crown, Royal Wedding Cake, wedding rings/engagement ring, royal carriage, initials on a heart/, union jack flag, doves etc.,  Square maybe.  The ideas are endless.



Now if you are making your own item, or if we send a Blanket on behalf of SIBOL.  These items WILL NOT be sent back. We send them off to reach by the 20th April and then the items are auctioned off to raise money for  a Charity that  Prince William is involved in. It  may be the Prince William and Prince Harry Foundation.  This supports disadvantaged people, especially the young and servicemen/women.

There is a Top Prize of a £50.00 voucher to spend in the online store, with second and third place also receiving vouchers.  The Winner would be announced 29th April. Every entry will be photographed and put on the Great British Yarn web site along with the name/s of the person(s) who made it.

I have been told that the Great British Yarn web site will tell us how much each item has raised when auctioned.  Of course we should not be disappointed if your item/or our SIBOL Blanket didn't raise  very much.  Sometimes these sorts of things can be disappointing.

If SIBOL was lucky enough to win a voucher this would be put towards yarn for our SIBOL 'Sunshine Blankets'.  But at the same time we would be having fun making the Squares, and watching them come in on Flickr.

A similar sort of idea  was suggested by Mia over on Flickr a few weeks ago to raise funds for SIBOL, to cover my Postage, Yarn, Stationery etc., But at the time I said I would leave it for a while. Since this has been advertised I'm thinking 'why not!'.  It is a competition this time and I think it would be fun.

I'd be very pleased to have feedback from you. Do you think it's a good idea? Or shall we not bother? Would you like your Square to be used in  this way?

sueatpigsty@talktalk.net
or please leave a comment on here.

This is your Group as well as mine, and I want us all to be happy about it.
Of course you don't have to make a Blanket with SIBOL. You could try and win this yourself!

Entries should be posted to

Sharon Spencer
Great British Yarns
66 Langdon Road
Bath, BA2 1LT

We have decided to do this Challenge. Squares 6" must be received at my home by 18th March.I need to make the Blanket up. Thank You! http://www.sibolchallenges.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous squares and a fabulous idea, as a one off it still goes to charity either way, i quite like the idea xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a nice idea.
    Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love margarets squares, especially the flower and pink square. Sue the royal blanket sounds like a great fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue I think that is a lovely idea - will have to get my thinking hat on - I havent tried any of the picture challenges yet - so this will galvanise me into action.! Have a great day x

    ReplyDelete