Our SIBOL TOTAL IS 1376! Thank You!

Slideshow of Sunshine Blankets (Click on Left/Right Arrows).

Challenge Blankets
I'm Sue and can be contacted on
sueatpigsty@virginmedia.com

It is so important that email addresses and names are enclosed with your donations of Sunshine Blankets, Shawls and Butterflies please. Thank you!

Butterflies LINK


'Crochet keeps our hands busy so our minds can rest. It is a gift to help quiet the world around us, if even for a moment. To create -- and think of those we create for --is a quiet prayer of hope, love and dreams all wrapped up in a hook, a book and a ball of yarn. Author Anonymous. Thanks Cynthia.
SIBOL Blog
I NO LONGER ACCEPT KNITTED OR CROCHETED SQUARES. I DO HOWEVER ACCEPT MADE UP BLANKETS FOR THE ELDERLY IN CARE HOMES. I'D BE VERY HAPPY TO RECEIVE YOURS! THANK YOU! 'SIBOL' is a charitable outlet for your Crocheting and Knitting Skills why not join us? Together we are 'Sending a ray of Sunshine into the Lives of the Elderly.' All enquiries please contact Sue on sueatpigsty@virginmedia.com Thank you!
Please Note

Please may I remind you to enclose your email address with parcels delivered to my home. If I don't acknowledge receipt it's because I can't find your address. Thank you.


Total 1384 Thank you!




Saturday 16 June 2012

We hit 180!

Hello Everyone!

First of all may I thank everyone who have left me comments on Facebook.

I don't know whether any of the Ladies who visited Facebook are visiting me, but there are a couple of things I would like to say. I'm so grateful for being sent this link. I don't go on Facebook so I was very surprised to see we were on there. When I was told that there were over 120 comments I somehow had to find out more so this morning when my Daughter came round and logged on, I said could you please find me this link. 'Mom, let me set up an account for you!''. I was on the verge of saying yes, then I panicked and said, 'No,  I'm sorry I can't join Facebook!'.  Anyway I managed to print off all the comments and I would like to go through a few if I could to reply back.

Working through the comments I'm overwhelmed when I see words like 'Awesome, Love it, So beautiful, Gorgeous!, Spectacular!,  Fantastic!, Amazing!, Impressive!, Magnifique, Wow!

I only put the Squares together the Ladies who contributed the Squares are the ones who have put their thinking caps on for this special Challenge designing their own special Square to go into our 'O' Blanket. I suggested 'Google' to see what we could come up with, finding a certain image and then maybe copying in to Crochet or Knit. It was really interesting to see what we came up with. Athletes, Flags, etc., The Ladies who took part in this Blanket deserve all of these wonderful words for their outstanding work.

I started suggesting the 'O' Challenge soon after the Royal Wedding Last year. We took part in a competition which was held by 'Great British Yarns' to celebrate the Wedding of Kate and William. We made a large Blanket and we were very fortunate to win first prize.  This spurred me on and I wanted to make an even bigger one. In total we had over 300 Squares. 130 were put in to this 'O' Blanket and the others were made in to smaller Blankets which I have now donated to Nursing Homes. I also have a 100 Square Flag Blanket coming up for auction very soon, trying to raise money for Alzheimer's.

In reply to Tina Simmons Cantrell's  question on Facebook.
Is there a pattern that you used?

In our Blankets for the Elderly we do a lot of 'picture squares'.  This is basically a standard Square of crochet but it may have either a picture crocheted in to it, or crochet pieces added on by sewing. It's amazing what you can make when you use the basic Crochet Stitches to form a picture.

For instance this one,

'Olympic Challenge' 'Badminton.


or this one.

Fiona (Netherlands) Your Squares have arrived! Thank you!


Can you see the Flags  for instance? They are basically rows of trebles or treble groups? Where as the 'N' Square is basically a Granny Square with a Crocheted 'N' sewn on the top.  So you see you don't have to be advanced to do some of the Squares.


In reply to:-
Minal B Shah.
I'm glad you can see your Indian Flag!

Sue Becker-Hargraves.
Thank you so much for your kind comments.

Willena Nanton.
I am pleased you can see your Squares. They fitted really well and I'm glad you sent some from the States!

Marlena Sue Judd.
Thank you so much for your kind comments.

Brenda Facey Simply Beautiful
Your comments are very much appreciated Brenda thank you.

I would like to thank Knit & Crochet Now for featuring our Blanket on Facebook and for also letting me know that we have had such a fantastic response. If you want to pop over please do.

Now our 'Blanket Drive' you could call it.

As you know I have recently delivered our Blankets to Nursing Homes and if you want to read about my visits then please go back a post. The Blankets were accepted so well, the Staff and Residents loved them.

I have in progress a 'SQUARE STOP' which means I am not accepting 'Stash Squares' until January 2013. But I do need 'Challenge Squares' and also 'made-up' Blankets.

Today in the post I have received a beautiful Blanket made up by Pamela here in the UK. Pamela has recently bought herself  a new Knitting Book called 'The Knitting Book"-Yarns, Techniques, Stitches, Patterns by Frederica Patmore & Vikki Haffenden (published by Dorling Kindersley).

 She says, 'It's a thick book but full of great advice from beginner to advanced. I've purchased a few books in my time but this is my favourite. My grandma taught me to knit but she only ever knit and purled so it was great for expanding my repertoire!'

Pamela has been practicising her Squares using this book and she thought it would be a good idea to put them in to a Blanket for 'SIBOL'. This Blanket is so...pretty. I just love it. Pretty Squares and definitely pretty border. Take a look at this!



Ta - Dah! Introducing SIBOL 180! Made and Donated by Pamela (UK).


Pamela has made a stunning Blanket for our Elderly. Thank you!


I love the edging. I love the Squares! A pretty Blanket.



Wow! That border is something else! I love it. My favorite Square if I should have one, is top middle. I just love the Block effect.

Pamela you have been terribly kind, thank you so much for making such a gorgeous Blanket. I'm sure everyone visiting 'SIBOL' today will just love it. Unfortunately it missed our Nursing Home delivery this week but it will be kept for the next one. I am very grateful to you thank you.

I asked Pamela if she would like to name the Blanket.
"It would be nice to call this blanket "Glady's" in memory of my Grandma who taught me to knit."



Thank you too to everyone that has left comments on Facebook, SIBOL, Flickr, RAVELRY I'm very grateful for them. I am so pleased you enjoy looking at beautiful Squares and Blankets on this Blog and that you find it inspiring to try and make your own.

If there is anything you want to know please drop me a mail Sue on sueatpigsty@talktalk.net

Bye for now

x Sue x

3 comments:

  1. I cant find it on FB, could you point me in the right direction. Awesome blanket, the border is lovely, so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This new blanket if so lovely, Pamela.

    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela certainly put the book to good use, beautiful blanket and, like you Sue, I love the border

    Liz

    ReplyDelete