Our SIBOL TOTAL IS 1376! Thank You!

Slideshow of Sunshine Blankets (Click on Left/Right Arrows).

Challenge Blankets
I'm Sue and can be contacted on
sueatpigsty@virginmedia.com

It is so important that email addresses and names are enclosed with your donations of Sunshine Blankets, Shawls and Butterflies please. Thank you!

Butterflies LINK


'Crochet keeps our hands busy so our minds can rest. It is a gift to help quiet the world around us, if even for a moment. To create -- and think of those we create for --is a quiet prayer of hope, love and dreams all wrapped up in a hook, a book and a ball of yarn. Author Anonymous. Thanks Cynthia.
SIBOL Blog
I NO LONGER ACCEPT KNITTED OR CROCHETED SQUARES. I DO HOWEVER ACCEPT MADE UP BLANKETS FOR THE ELDERLY IN CARE HOMES. I'D BE VERY HAPPY TO RECEIVE YOURS! THANK YOU! 'SIBOL' is a charitable outlet for your Crocheting and Knitting Skills why not join us? Together we are 'Sending a ray of Sunshine into the Lives of the Elderly.' All enquiries please contact Sue on sueatpigsty@virginmedia.com Thank you!
Please Note

Please may I remind you to enclose your email address with parcels delivered to my home. If I don't acknowledge receipt it's because I can't find your address. Thank you.


Total 1384 Thank you!




Friday 19 October 2012

I love 'SIBOL' Delivery Days!

Good Afternoon and welcome to 'SIBOL'.

I'm very happy to be telling you that today I visited Greville House Care Home in Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield.  I was contacted by Sandra - the Manager of the Home  a few weeks ago,  she was given my contact details through someone visiting Crochet Spot - Charity Section  over in the States and  emailed to see if we could supply her home with several 'Sunshine Blankets'.  After having a lovely chat with her I arranged to take in 20 of our beautiful Blankets.

As Mr. Twins was on holiday this week I arranged my visit for 10.00am this morning.  I have spent the last few weeks getting our 'Sunshine Blankets' ready for their deliveries. It's always an exciting time for me because our Delivery days are always so rewarding.

004


005


Sorting the Blankets out ready to take with us.


Greville House have 20 Ladies living there and I thought these 'Sunshine Blankets' were ideal for them.

20 Blankets ready for Greville House Care Home, Sutton Coldfield.


Don't you just love to see our 'Sunshine Blankets' all lined up like this! Beautifully tied with ribbons, 'SIBOL' Butterflies hanging and  cards tied on to the Blankets!  I call this photo my 'Blanket train!'.

I moved the Boxes in to my Lounge ready for the off this morning and stopped to take some final photos!

20 'Sunshine Blankets' ready for the off! 19/10/2012


We set off for Greville House using the sat nav. We left around 9.15am and got there for just gone 10.00am. 

'Greville House Care Home'. Blanket Delivery Day!


Mr. Twins carried one of the boxes for me while I knocked the main door.  We were met by friendly Staff and Residents and soon started chatting to them. We were introduced to Sandra who showed us into her Office. We were offered cups of tea and there we sat telling her about my Grandmother and why I started the project. She was absolutely amazed we had made so many 'Sunshine Blankets' and she couldn't get over how beautiful they were.

I explained how the Squares came in from as far as the States and Australia and I told her how terribly kind you all are. We had a great conversation about Knitting and Crocheting and we were also talking about how theraputic these crafts were.

While we were drinking our tea, Mr. Twins went outside to fetch in the other two boxes. When he came back  I also told Sandra about our special Charity Blankets in particular making the Olympic Blanket and Flag Blanket for Alzheimers. Also the special 'Think Pink' Blankets. They were amazed that our Blankets made so much money for various Charities.

Soon after we were shown in to the Lounge where Sandra  introduced us to the Ladies. I talked a little about my Grandmother and then Sandra started giving the Blankets out.

Sandra introduces me to the Residents and tells them why I am visiting.


I was allowed these wonderful photos.


Well what a reaction! The Ladies absolutely loved our 'Sunshine Blankets'. They were all absolutely over the moon with them. They could not believe how terribly talented you all were.  They were asked which Blanket they wanted and the Staff read out the names of the Blankets to them and who had made the Squares and indeed the whole Blankets.

I spent a lot of time with each Lady talking about who had made their Blankets.

Nice to be able to talk to some of the Ladies too!


One Lady asked where Bev lived in the UK. Another Lady asked me who had made 'A Loving Touch'. Another Lady wanted to talk about Pauline. I told her we call her 'creativegranny'.

It was an absolute pleasure to meet all the Ladies.


The Lady who received the Blanket  assembled by Joyce called 'Cherry Crumble' told me that it matched her carpet beautifully.  Another Lady told me how cold her knees get, and how useful the Blanket would be to her.

I talk to the Residents and read the names out of the Ladies who have made the Squares and Blankets!


The new owner of Fiona's Blanket 'Carp Diem' was  terribly interested in what she had wrote on the small card attached to the Blanket. We wondered whether those words were 'Latin?'  They enjoyed listening to what Fiona had written about the making of her Blanket, the Lady said the Blanket was made in her favourite colours.  What I found with this Home  was that the Residents were really interested in the Ladies who had made the Blanket for them.  I'm thinking it might be a good idea to always attach a little card written from the person who put it together. We did try this before, but let's try again!  It's a very personal touch I think and the Lady who received one of Fiona's Blankets really liked reading why she had made that particular Blanket.

Our 'SIBOL' Butterflies were such a talking point and I explained how they could be hung on door knobs and zimmer frames. They loved the colours they were made in and once again they just couldn't get over how talented you all were.  Even more surprised when I told everyone we had made nearly 300 'Sunshine Blankets!'

Sandra distributes the Blankets.

We had such a wonderful morning Mr. Twins enjoyed himself too. It's been a long time since he has been out with me on 'SIBOL Deliveries!'.  He took me to the  very first one up in Cheshire back in 2010.  Without him this morning I don't think I would have got there.

I'm so grateful that we could have some photos taken,  it's important to me that I show you where our Blankets have been delivered to.

Mr. Twins Sandra and myself having our photos taken.




Sandra admiring 'Silver Lady' and 'Flamboyant'.



Our 'SIBOL' Delivery Day is very important because it's the end of  the process if you like from receiving Squares to the making up of the Blanket. To know that it has been given to an Elderly person really warms my heart. Each of our 'Sunshine Blankets' are so unique no two Blankets are the same and each Square in the Blanket has been made lovingly  Your kindness is always so much appreciated not only by myself but by the Homes we deliver to and the Ladies who receive them.  We really do brighten up an Elderly persons life and we definitely do bring smiles to their faces.

So a Big Thank you to everyone who has helped me with these Blankets from myself, Sandra and the Ladies at Greville House.  On leaving I said Goodbye and everyone applauded us which really made my morning.

I couldn't wait to write this post and let you know how I got on. I hope you enjoy looking at these photos.

Thank you Greville House for making us both so welcome this morning and I do hope you enjoy your Blankets they really are going to be the topic of conversation today! What a lovely morning we both had.
Thank you!

x Sue x






8 comments:

  1. Just think how many people you have brightened the day for Sue. They'll all have sweet dreams under their lovely new blankets.

    Lovely xxx
    Jessiebonbon

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful report you have written Sue, to show everyone the final chapter of the SIBOL blankets. Thank you so much, and thanks to Mr Twins too. A great idea to have a little card with each blanket too.

    Lovely blog to read and enjoy.

    Hugs,

    Jennifer xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome Sue. you really are making a difference, I have posted about this on my blog.
    I have seen it first hand the joy these blankets give them and it really does brighten their day. They will cherish them always.
    http://papillongold.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/i-want-to-share-blog-post-by-sue-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see. Fantastic that the blankets do so much good for the elderly. Wonderful :)
    Thank you for your report.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely day Sue. I'm happy to hear that everyone loved their blankets. Thank you for all that you do - and thanks to Mr. Twins too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very moving to see the blankets reaching their final homes-the hard work you do means so much and thankyou for these lovely photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful and what beautiful blankets! By the way, Carpe Diem is Latin for "Seize the Day".

    ReplyDelete